1.03.2010

it may be the antidepressants talking, but i'm feeling somewhat optimistic about 2010.

{title via someecards.com}

2009 may not have ended well {and the five-month period I spent looking for jobs was a little rough}, but there were some definite highlights that keep me from declaring it a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad year:
  • in the beginning of the year, I was living and playing in New York City;
  • I received my Master's in Social Work from Columbia University;
  • I got a job where I'm actually using my education and internship experience {gasp!} and moved to Washington, DC {or, more accurately, Arlington, VA}...
...okay, so that's only three things. But there are lots of little things that were great, too {indulging my inner child with regular cupcake runs, starting this blog, decorating my first real place...}, and I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be a little more figured out by the end of this new year. {One can always hope, I guess.}

And thus:

Goals for the New Year
  1. Run a 5K. My expectations are low. I don't care if it takes me 2.53 hours to finish; I just want to cross that finish line.
    Game Plan: I've begun preparations for this goal, albeit unexpectedly: I won a gift card to Famous Footwear from the lovely Anna at Around the Way Girl, and I think I'm going to be practical and purchase New Balances with it. And! I've bookmarked the Couch to 5K Running Plan! I don't care what you say; that's progress.
  1. Learn a new language. I want to learn a lot of languages, actually, but as it stands now, I can speak English and Banglish {an atrocious mix of Bangla/Bengali and English, of course}, can order a taco in Spanish, and can say "un ananas ne parle pas. ce n'est pas possible!" in French. Very useful.
    Game Plan: Register for Arabic via Rosetta Stone... which is available to me at no cost via my job {how awesome is that?!}. I will go to Egypt and ride a camel yet! {Long story.}

  2. Read 12 books. What did I say about low expectations? Last year I read a total of 8 non-graduate school-related books {I KNOW}, though I started {and bought} about 5x that many books. This year, I have a TV. Disaster waiting to happen.
    Game Plan: Read?

  3. Take a trip to India. {Or maybe Egypt? I can use my newly-acquired Arabic skills!} I really want to see the Taj Mahal. Maybe I'll take my mom. {My dad has already been twice, the bugger.}
    Game Plan: Work like mad, don't take any vacation or sick days, and then buy a ticket {or two}!

  4. Do something unexpected {for me} every once in a while. Go camping {"I hate outside!"}. Make a quiche. Take a dance class. Paint something for my room. ...Run a 5K. :)


happy new year, friends!
it's going to be a good one. i can feel it.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Camping sounds like a horrible idea, but everything else sounds like a great idea!

If you want to read more, I know of a book club you could participate in. ;)

jillian-anne said...

you got to live in new york *sigh*

now that i think about it, i probably read less than 8 books too :/

Megan said...

Ugh, I agree about the camping.

India, though, now that would be awesome. You might have to amend that to say only take one sick or vacation day for when I come visit, though!

ps. Thank you for finally updating your blog you lazy bum :).

bsmithhill said...

Sounds like an awesome, yet very do-able list! Good luck!

Pin said...

I normally feel the same way about camping, but there's an REI commercial that gets me pumped up about it {for, like, 2 seconds} every time I see it. I am a marketer's DREAM.

Katie-- Believe it or not, I was in that book club last year! I started One Hundred Years and then promptly stopped. {Not that I hated it; I was just too lazy!}

Friend in Fashion said...

I'm really keen to pick up another language as well :)

A great list - wishing you a fabulous 2010!

www.friendinfashion.blogspot.com

Tunics & Tamarind Chutney said...

I am planning on running a 5K (and a 10K later) too! I am on the hunt for some good running shoes!
Have you started your training?

http://tunicsandtamarindchutney.blogspot.com/

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I have a really good feeling about 2010 too! '09 can suck it. Do you ever go to Jay's Saloon. It was my favorite Arlington dive when I lived in DC!

Pin said...

I haven't been there yet, but I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip, Kristin!

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails