8.09.2009

m.i.a.



Okay, so I've been MIA. Everyday I think, "I will update my blog today," and then everyday I do a million other things instead of blogging. (Although, I did retroactively update my blog here, here, and here.) I am a blogging failure.

In my defense, I've been a little mopey, since the job search isn't going as well as I had hoped. And it's a weird place to be, to be "in transition." Since I'm looking for (development, grant writing, program management) jobs in NYC and DC, should I move back to NYC (or to DC) and stay with friends, or should I wait to move until I have something lined up? How long can I stay with friends before becoming a bad house guest, especially when I don't have any prospects? Even little things like, should I open a gym membership here at home while I look for jobs elsewhere?

More and more I don't feel like I'm "transitioning"; I just feel like I'm stagnating.

Normally when I feel this way -- when I feel "magenta" (at the 5:00 mark) -- I engage in a little retail therapy to lift my spirits. (Okay, full disclosure, I did buy some new shoes (they're very cute!).) But perhaps, instead, I should focus on the (mostly) non-material things that brighten my mood:

a short list of things that never fail to make me smile

  1. waking up to sunshine flooding my room, and (conversely, strangely) waking up to an early sunday morning thunderstorm
  2. flipping through old photos, even if i don't remember what was happening when they were taken, like this one: ... look at all that pink i'm wearing!
  3. finding the perfect gift... and trying (unsuccessfully) not to spoil it
  4. rolling down the window, turning up the radio, and driving down long stretches of empty road
  5. a good conversation
  6. freshly baked goods
  7. laughing until you pee... and then laughing at that
  8. the golden girls
  9. fresh cut flowers
  10. planning a trip, even if i never make it to my destination
  11. great children's picture books, like cornelia funke's the princess knight, doreen cronin's diary of a worm, kate mcmullan's i'm bad, and anything mo willems
  12. unexpectedly getting free food at the office (or anywhere, really)
  13. looking up at the night sky and being able to see the stars
  14. spontaneous dance parties
This is not an exhaustive list by any means, but I think this is a good start. Next time, instead of spending money I don't have on things I don't need, maybe I'll just flip on the Golden Girls? ...We'll see. :)

No comments:

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails