10.03.2009

traveling light

{Image via here; edited using Picnik.com}

I've spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out how to pack two suits and a week's worth of clothes, shoes, and other everyday essentials {flat iron, accessories, make up, etc.} into a carry-on for my trip to D.C. next week. {I have two interviews scheduled, which is the most I've had all summer. Long distance job hunting is hard!} I generally do not travel light, but I am flying Delta, which like most airlines, charges $15 for the first checked bag {one way} + $5 if you don't check your bags online. Frustration!

{I know... I might have to bite the bullet and fork over the $30.}

Sometimes I opt for comfort when I'm traveling, but often, especially when my suitcase is overflowing, I'll layer on items -- jackets and sweatshirts and bulky shoes -- that take up the most space. {It's not very chic.} the glamourai has some useful advice on packing jewelry and such, which I will keep in mind as I reorganize my suitcase yet again. If any of my fellow travelers out there have advice on packing or traveling in general--

do you roll your clothes to keep them from wrinkling?
or do you just fold them?


what can you not leave the house without?

-- please share!

9 comments:

6+1 Consulting said...

ROLL

6+1 Consulting said...

cannot leave the house without (clean undies) cuz you never know! everything else is fairly easy to get. clean, comfy, apropos undies? not so easy to get when traveling. although walgreens might carry some?

shopruche.com said...

Rolling definitely helps! I always bring a plastic to put dirty laundry in.

Best of luck on your interviews!
-Mai

Toothfairy said...

hahaha, I do roll my clothes! It safes space and it keeps it from wrinkling!

*loves*

Samya said...

well... i wish i had read this before you left :-P

i roll my clothes sometimes although i dont know that it actually kept wrinkles out cause i always end up ironing everything before i wear it.

mai made a good point... something ammu always did and now we do without even thinking is store a plastic bag somewhere for dirty clothes.

i put my jewelry in a party bag/smaller bag for outing when you dont wanna tow around your gigantic bag.

i keep toiletries completely separate or, bottled AND ziploc bagged....yes i've had multiple exploding shampoo, hair junk, and goo episodes.

like you said... wear your heaviest clothes. the thicker sweater and coat. you can always take them off later.

Samya said...

oh! and i like the new look :)

Pin said...

Wow, I didn't realize rolling was so popular! ...Although I am sure it is a much better option than my 'throw things in the suitcase' approach!

And Mai and Rasha-- Thanks!!

mina said...

definitely roll... although I won't be taking too many clothes on this trip :( I don't know how I'm going to live without my flat iron and curler.

kadler said...

Eek... I would say bring basics you can wash and good shoes! Not to mention underwear. Once I forgot it... never again.

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails