9.23.2009

q&a, part two

My lifelong love for books began, I think, with Frances Hodgson Burnett's magical and utterly charming novel A Little Princess.

I had received the book as a birthday present-- and let me tell you, I was not happy about receiving a book! for a present! {ugh} ...until I started reading, and then I was captivated. I wanted to be Sara, not only for her riches, but also for her goodness and strength and spirit and imagination. The moral of the story -- that being a princess is not about privilege and fortune, but rather about how one chooses to respond to difficult situations and life's unexpected turns -- is inspiring, and even as adult, a point I would do well to remember.


And now a puppy with a tiara (via here).

I am grateful for having received that book for my birthday, as it instilled in me a respect and appreciation for the written word. Many children are not so lucky and do not have access to books. First Book addresses this barrier to literacy by providing new books and educational resources to children in need. This year, First Book is pledging to donate 50,000 new books to the state that receives the most votes in their "What Book Got You Hooked?" Campaign. So, head on over to First Book's website to vote, and while you're there, be sure to let them know:

"What book got you hooked?"
{I'd like to know, too, if you don't mind sharing your story.}

Vote now. Vote often. Vote Kentucky ;).

{Okay, you don't really have to vote for Kentucky. But you do have to vote before midnight ET on September 30, 2009.}

4 comments:

jillian-anne said...

oh, i LOVED a little princess! i read this book so many times when i was younger. i actually liked the film too. i also used to read pride and prejudice over and over, which is a bit strange.

Katie said...

While Pride and Prejudice is the book that changed my life, I remember learning to love long before that. When my uncle would babysit my sister and I he would bring his friend and his friend would bring us books and this was always very exciting. So my first memories of books are of Little Bear and Mercer Mayer's Little Critter.

Megan said...

My first favorite book was this little picture book I had about a garbage man. It showed him going around to all the house and he would know what had been going on based on what garbage was there...like he knew there had been a birthday party at this one house because there were streamers in the trash can. I seriously considered trash collection as a career because of that book and I suspect it might have been what started my lifetime love of sleuth work and, in the interest of full disclosure, spying and gossip.

Pin said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE Cuaron's "A Little Princess," too! That movie was as magical as the book to me.

And Megan, I want to read this picture book!

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails