5.13.2009

all the news that's fit for a half hour comedy show

9. Catch a taping of The Daily Show and/or The Colbert Report.

The Daily Show Studio, NYC. 5/12/09.*


So I cheated: I changed #9 on my "NYC bucket list" from eating hot dogs in Coney Island to watching a taping of The Daily Show. In my defense, I've already been to Coney Island, so it didn't make sense to include it on the list as my intention was to do and see things I haven't done before. I also didn't think it would be possible to see a taping of either show before leaving, since it takes a certain amount of foresight and persistence to reserve tickets.

Apparently, I lack foresight and persistence. Lucky for me, I have friends who don't. :)

Holding our golden tickets!

We got to the studio around 3PM -- you have to be there by 4:30PM in order to get the tickets -- and the line was already a hundred people in (no kidding: when we finally got our tickets, we were numbers 93-96 in line). But it was a nice afternoon, and we managed to keep ourselves entertained until we -- or rather, the people at the head of the line -- were finally ushered into the studio at 5:15ish PM. (We had to be screened, so they let people into the studio in stages.)

The studio is much smaller in person, as is the man behind the desk; Jon Stewart is a wee little man (okay, not exactly "wee" but definitely shorter than I expected). Before the taping began, Jon (Mr. Stewart?) took several questions from the audience. His responses were funny, and I would retell them here except I'd totally over-explain the joke and kill the humor. Tom Hanks was the guest (!), and -- I don't know how the interview seemed on TV but -- it seemed like a whirlwind of a discussion on antimatter, symbology, mugs that looked like Prince Charles, and then boom! he was gone. I know the interviews are always that short, but it seemed so much shorter in person. Tom Hanks is such a nerd. :)

At the end of the show, Jon Stewart thanked us for coming, which was nice. Save for that and the Q&A at the beginning, though, there was little interaction between the audience and the show. While it was exciting to see Jon Stewart in person (and in action) and I did have fun, it wasn't too different from watching it on TV. I love Jon Stewart, but I don't think I would wait in line again to watch his show live.


*Photos courtesy Joanna. Thanks, Jojo!

3 comments:

Megan said...

Ahhh I am so jealous!

Katie said...

Ahh! I am so jealous too! I want detailed story soon. Thanks.

Naorin Motalib said...

I had nooo clue you got to go to the Daily Show, I watched that Tom Hanks show too! sooo neat ( more reasons I need to move to NYC or just come visit you already!) <3

You May Also Like

Related Posts with Thumbnails